Sunday, June 18, 2006

Fathers' Day

It doesn't matter who my father was; it matters who I remember he was.
- Anne Sexton

Society moves by some degree of parricide, by which the children, on the whole, kill, if not their fathers, at least the beliefs of their fathers, and arrive at new beliefs. This is what progress is.
- Isaiah Berlin

When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.
- Mark Twain, 1835 - 1910

A king, realizing his incompetence, can either delegate or abdicate his duties. A father can do neither. If only sons could see the paradox, they would understand the dilemma.
- Marlene Dietrich, 1901 - 1992

My best training came from my father.
- Woodrow Wilson, 1856 - 1924

Fatherhood is pretending that the present you love most is soap-on-a-rope.
- Bill Cosby

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home