Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Rex Harrison

Exhilaration is that feeling you get just after a great idea hits you, and just before you realize what's wrong with it.

Whatever it is that makes a person charming, it needs to remain a mystery.... Once the charmer is aware of a mannerism or characteristic that others find charming, it ceases to be a mannerism and becomes an affectation. And good Lord, there is nothing less charming than affectations!

When I was ten we moved and I decided that none of the names I was then called - Reggie, Bobby, Baa - suited me. Somehow I hit on Rex. I must have heard someone calling for their dog and thought it sounded rather nice.

It takes a long time to learn to treat the camera as a friend and confidant, which finally you have to do if you're to become a good film actor.

I'm now at the age where I've got to prove that I'm just as good as I never was.
- All from Rex Harrison, 1908 - 1990

About:
Reginald Carey Harrison was born at Huyton, Knowsley, England on 5 Mar in 1908, graduated from Liverpool College, and was on stage at Liverpool in 1924. He served in the RAF during World War II, then returned to the stage. He did great as Pope Julius II in The Agony and the Ecstasy, and is best known as Professor Henry Higgins in My Fair Lady, a role he played on Broadway for six years opposite Julie Andrews and in the 1964 film opposite Audrey Hepburn. He is one of a very short list of actors who have won both a Tony and Oscar for the same role. Knighted in 1989, he continued to act until three weeks before he died.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home