Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Michelangelo

Heaven-born, the soul a heavenward course must hold; beyond the world she soars; the wise man, I affirm, can find no rest in that which perishes, nor will he lend his heart to aught that doth on time depend.

Lord, grant that I may always desire more than I can accomplish.

Trifles make perfection, and perfection is no trifle.

After four tortured years, more than 400 over life-sized figures, I felt as old and as weary as Jeremiah. I was only 37, yet friends did not recognize the old man I had become.

It is necessary to keep one's compass in one's eyes and not in the hand, for the hands execute, but the eye judges.

Carving is easy, you just go down to the skin and stop.

A beautiful thing never gives so much pain as does failing to hear and see it.

A man paints with his brains and not with his hands.

Beauty is the purgation of superfluities

Death and love are the two wings that bear the good man to heaven

Every block of stone has a statue inside it and it is the task of the sculptor to discover it.

Faith in oneself is the best and safest course.

Genius is eternal patience.

Good painting is the kind that looks like sculpture.

I am a poor man and of little worth, who is laboring in that art that God has given me in order to extend my life as long as possible.

I am still learning.

I have never felt salvation in nature. I love cities above all.

I live in sin, to kill myself I live; no longer my life my own, but sin's; my good is given to me by heaven, my evil by myself, by my free will, of which I am deprived.

I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.

If we have been pleased with life, we should not be displeased with death, since it comes from the hand of the same master.

The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark.

There is no greater harm than that of time wasted.
- All from Michelangelo Buonarroti, 1474 - 1564

About:
Michelangelo Buonarroti was born on 6 Mar in 1475 at Caprese in il Republico Fiorenza. He considered himself a sculptor, but his patron Pope Julius II made sure we think of him mostly as a painter of walls and ceilings. He was also a poet and prolific letter writer, and left us with these quotations.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home