Thursday, September 13, 2007

Pronunciation

I was the kind nobody thought could make it. I had a funny Boston accent. I couldn't pronounce my R's. I wasn't a beauty.
- Barbara Walters

They spell it da Vinci and pronounce it da Vinchy. Foreigners always spell better than they pronounce.
- Mark Twain, 1835 - 1910

My father's name, when he came to America, was Kassell. At Ellis Island, the registrars changed it to Cohen. I honored my father's name by changing it back to its original pronunciation.
- Howard Cosell

Demosthenes overcame and rendered more distinct his inarticulate and stammering pronunciation by speaking with pebbles in his mouth.
- Plutarch, 46 - 119

I hold that a man has as much right to spell a word as it is pronounced as he has to pronounce it the way it ain't spelled.
- Josh Billings, 1818 - 1885

The golden rule when reading the menu is, if you cannot pronounce it, you cannot afford it.
- Frank Muir, 1920 - 1998

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home