Friday, July 20, 2007

Mr Rogers

All I know to do is to light the candle that has been given to me.

I love whimsy, don’t you? If you’re going to be working for children, you need to do your best not to lose your childlikeness ... it's wonderful to be able to just be yourself.

The world is not always a kind place. That's something all children learn for themselves, whether we want them to or not, but it's something they really need our help to understand.

There's a generous current in the American spirit. And if we can simply give voice to that once in a while, I think it's a good message.

We live in a world in which we need to share responsibility. It's easy to say 'It's not my child, not my community, not my world, not my problem.' Then there are those who see the need and respond. I consider those people my heroes.

I feel the greatest gift we can give to anybody is the gift of our honest self

You know, you don't have to look like everybody else to be acceptable and to feel acceptable

I have a very modulated way of dealing with my anger. I have always tried to understand the other person and invariably I've discovered that somebody who rubs you the wrong way has been rubbed the wrong way many times.

Play is often talked about as if it were a relief from serious learning. But for children play is serious learning. Play is really the work of childhood.

What makes the difference between wishing and realizing our wishes? Lots of things, and it may take months or years for wish to come true, but it's far more likely to happen when you care so much about a wish that you'll do all you can to make it happen.

How sad it is that we give up on people who are just like us.

Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people.
- All from Fred McFeely Rogers, 1928 - 2003

About:
Fred McFeely Rogers was born at Latrobe, Pennsylvania on 20 Mar in 1928. His bachelor's degree from Rollins College was in musical composition, but he went directly into television. He was hired by WQED Pittsburgh when that educational station wasn't yet on the air and developed their early children's programs. After work he went to seminary and was ordained a Presbyterian minister. He composed over 200 songs and wrote several books for children and their parents. For more than thirty years, Mr Rogers walked onto the set of Mr Rogers' Neighborhood, set aside his sport coat and put on a red cardigan sweater, and talked straight to America's kids.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home