Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Dorothy Parker

Four be the things I'd have been better without:
love, curiosity, freckles and doubt.

He and I had an office so tiny that an inch smaller and it would have been adultery.

I don't know much about being a millionaire, but I'll bet I'd be a darling at it.

Men seldom make passes at girls who wear glasses.

If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to.

The best way to keep children home is to make the home atmosphere pleasant--and let the air out of the tires.

They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.

I'm never going to accomplish anything; that's perfectly clear to me. I'm never going to be famous. My name will never be writ large on the roster of Those Who Do Things. I don't do anything. Not one single thing. I used to bite my nails, but I don't even do that any more.

I wish I could drink like a lady,
I'd have one or two at the most.

Three and I'm under the table,
Four and I'm under the host.
- All from Dorothy Parker, 1893 - 1967

About:
Dorothy Rothschild was born at West End, New Jersey on 22 Aug in 1893. She didn't enjoy life, and made a reputation for bitter commentary of great style and wit as Dorothy Parker. For most of her life, her work was welcomed by the public and editors, although she was fired at Vanity Fair for her harsh criticism of Broadway productions. In addition to Vanity Fair, she wrote for Vogue, the New Yorker, Life, the Saturday Evening Post, and Esquire, and wrote all or parts of two dozen screenplays. Despite being one of the most quoted writers in America, she struggled with alcohol and depression, and attempted suicide four times. But she left us a wealth of great quotes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home